Initiating a kiss can be intimidating, whether it’s a goodnight kiss on your first date, or your first time ever locking lips (which for me was on the bus while my friend screamed DO IT ALREADY!)
I’ve always enjoyed my experiences with kissing someone new, and since both parties are usually nervous, I can excuse a lot of the awkward fumbling associated with first kisses… especially since half the time I’m the one doing the fumbling. However, I have never asked a boy for their permission to kiss them – because if I can’t just walk up and lay a big wet one on him, it’s probably not a good idea in the first place.
So my question to you, dear Tumblr Reader, is why do boys think it is OK to ask before trying to kiss me? When has this worked out in their favor?
This happened to me over the weekend while vacationing in NYC. I had met a man who was 10+ years older than me, but was cool enough to play the ridiculous games Chelsea invented at the bar. That should have been clue #1 that he was a shady person.
We were sitting on a bench, and he leaned in and said, “Can I make this awkward? Can I kiss you?” Admitting it was about to get weird did not make it any better. I politely declined and reminded him about my relationship status. When silence became unbearable, I told him he could leave if he wanted to. He decided to stay, but shortly regretted his decision and faked a phone call to run away (which is probably the best part of the story).
Recently, I’ve been reflecting on some other don’t-ask-to-kiss situations:
- The time I was in tears over a boy, and my male friend of 3+ years asked if he could kiss me to make me feel better
- Same night, new male friend asks to kiss me, saying, “Isn’t that why you invited me to this party?”
- Later that night, other friend asks to kiss me, saying, “Just a little one. It’s inevitable. You want me.” (This was a bad night)
- Dorky neighbor nervously asks to kiss me when my boyfriend left the apartment (This was a little sad, but still no.)
Now I am debating if platonic relationships with men are really a thing. Here are some end of blog questions to consider:
- Are my guy friends waiting for the right moment to ask for a steamy kiss?
- Are all platonic relationships built around the, “When we’re x years old and still alone, let’s agree to get together” mentality?
- Did I friend-zone all my guy pals not knowing their true intentions?
- Isn’t there an episode of Sex and the City I can reference to handle this situation?